Centos 5.2, MS, perl ClamAV module

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Sun Nov 30 21:28:12 GMT 2008

on 11-27-2008 8:39 AM David Lee spake the following:

> I'm aware that the topic of the perl ClamAV module is a frequent one
> (because of the unfortunate habit of the clamav software to change its
> interface on each minor release, requiring the perl module maintainer to
> do work).
>
> I've just tried a fresh install (64 bit Intel) of Centos 5.2, MS-4.72.5-1
> and install-Clam-SA-latest.tar.gz (install-Clam-0.94.1-SA-3.2.5).
>
> "install-Clam-0.94.1-SA-3.2.5" successfully builds the clamav software
> itself (installing it into "/usr/local/{bin,lib64,etc,include}" (etc.)
>
> It then tries to build the perl ClamAV module, which fails:
>    ClamAV.xs:308: error: 'CL_EFSYNC' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>    ClamAV.xs:321: error: 'CL_ELOCKDB' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>
> Looking in the (just previously installed) "/usr/local/include/clamav.h"
> shows that "CL_EFSYNC" is commented out, and that "CL_ELOCKDB" doesn't
> seem to exist at all.
>
> So the two clam-related bits of "install-Clam-0.94.1-SA-3.2.5" would
> seem to be inconsistent.
>
> Is the recommendation is that we no longer use the perl ClamAV module
> and instead use "clamd"?
>
> If so, then are all the pieces in place to ensure that the "clamd"
> module is automatically invoked?  (The "chkconfig ..." and "service ...
> start"
> or equivalents?)

Since you are using CentOS 5, you can enable the rpmforge repo and get
spamassassin and clamav from yum.
The yum repo has a working clamd setup, and even Julian has recommended this
way with CentOS.
--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and