Fwd: Mailscanner child freezes

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:40:33 GMT 2008

2008/11/22 Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>:
> Please try the attached (gzipped) Message.pm file. Just drop it into
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm if you are running the latest
> version, and restart MailScanner.

I suppose you mean 4.73.x then, not 4.72.5? I get a few ... error messages:
# MailScanner --debug
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock:
cannot create lockfile /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex:
Filen eller katalogen finns inte
Building a message batch to scan...
Have a batch of 1 message.
max message size is '3600000'
pyzor: check failed: internal error
auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock:
cannot create lockfile /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex:
Filen eller katalogen finns inte
Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
365.
/bin/ls: :long_cacheid:: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
/bin/ln: målet "/known_spam/" är inte en katalog: Filen eller
katalogen finns inte
ls: /known_spam/: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
ls: /empty/: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
/bin/ls: :long_cacheid:: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
/bin/ln: målet "/known_spam/" är inte en katalog: Filen eller
katalogen finns inte
ls: /known_spam/: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
ls: /empty/: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
Stopping now as you are debugging me.
[root at apmx06 ~]#

Basically all complaints (in mangled UTF8 rendition of Swedish:-)
about missing directories and such.
Other than that, it worked perfectly;-).

Cheers
-- Glenn

> On 22/11/08 09:58, Glenn Steen wrote:
>>
>> 2008/11/21 Scott Silva<ssilva at sgvwater.com>:
>>

>>> on 11-21-2008 7:10 AM Glenn Steen spake the following:

>>> Glenn,
>>> If you have a sample of this available, I can run it through my sendmail
>>> box
>>> and see if it is only postfix related or deeper.
>>>

>> The trouble is in Message.pm, so it probably affects all. You can
>> easily create a testcase yourself:
>> zip any file into an archive called "archive.zip" (or whatever you
>> like:-), then zip "archive.zip" into a new zip file named
>> "archive.zip"... then send it through .... Keep an eye on top and
>> you'll see one MS child "get stuck" in "cleaning messages" eating
>> close to 100% CPU.
>> This bug only affect 4.72.5 (and later, from what it seems ... from
>> reading the code), so all who run 4.71 are unaffected.
>>
>> Since this is easily and readily exploitable, I hesitated "going
>> public" with this... I'm looking at finding a solution (it should be
>> something simple, either safeguarding when constructing the hashes, or
>> "loop-detecting" when travesing the "hash list"), but as always...
>> Jules genius (and superior understanding of all nuances of the code)
>> would likely find a simple solution to this in no time at all:-).
>>
>> I'd appreciate if you did do a test Scott.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Jules
>
> --
> Julian Field MEng CITP CEng
> www.MailScanner.info
>
> MailScanner customisation, or any advanced system administration help?
> Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM

> PGP public key: http://www.jules.fm/julesfm.asc

> believed to be clean.

-- Glenn