Watermark test working too good

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 09:42:48 GMT 2008

2008/11/14 Daniel Straka <Dstraka at caspercollege.edu>:
> I've got some users that subscribe to a state library newsletter sent out via distribution list. These messages arrive with a null sender and MailScanner' watermarking feature is marking them as spam (yes, I have it set to do that).
> Question is, if I add the relaying servers IP address to my spam.whitelist.rules file will the messages bypass MailScanners watermark test?
>
> Is there another way to have these messages bypass the watermark test?
>
> Thanks,

Dan,

Why not have the state library do the right thing? They aren't sending
these as part of the mailing system(s) housekeeping functions, that is
... they're abusing the RFCs in a way, so... Wouldn't it be better to
get them to use a sane sender address? If they are afraid to have to
handle bounces... well, then they shouldn't be using amailing list at

Whitelisting "bad behaviour" == "accepting it"...
Yeah, I know... the users/clients pay the beans, but ... you could at
least ask them:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn