Bug in SweepOther.pm?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 5 19:27:15 GMT 2008

Symon Chalk wrote:
> I had an issue come up today with MailScanner, quite why it only
> suddenly surfaced I don't know (I'm guessing someone did an update on
> the server and hasn't fessed up).
>
> Anyway, the issue was that MailScanner would continually cycle over
> the same messages time and again, never actually processing them
> (although it'd virus and SpamAssassin scan them, just not deliver them
> on). The only error was in /var/log/messages, being variations on the
> following: "Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255 with signal 0".
>
> Running check_MailScanner with Debug = yes and Debug SpamAssassin =
> yes turned up the following error: "Unmatched ) in regex; marked by
> <-- HERE in m/\.[a-z0-9]{3}) <-- HERE \1$/ at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/SweepOther.pm line 273."
>
> I took a look at that file and couldn't see anything obviously wrong,
> although it's hard to tell as the regex is actually being passed in as
> a variable. To get round the problem I added the following: "$regex =
> quotemeta ($regex);" just before that line, which cured the problem
> and doesn't seem to have broken anything else (check_MailScanner
> returned no problems and the server is now processing mail correctly).
>
> Any thoughts on what could have caused this and whether my fix is okay?
Your fix is not okay. You will have broken your filename.rules.conf
filename rules. Check your rule for the double-extension trapping and
see if you have deleted or added a bracket by mistake. Or else the 2 new
rules above that which mention days of the week or months of the year. I
suspect someone added the 2 new rules there, and didn't get it quite
right when they were copying them into your customised filename.rules.conf.

> TIA,
>
> Symon.

Jules

--