Bug in SweepOther.pm?

Symon Chalk symonc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:01:45 GMT 2008

I had an issue come up today with MailScanner, quite why it only suddenly
surfaced I don't know (I'm guessing someone did an update on the server and
hasn't fessed up).
Anyway, the issue was that MailScanner would continually cycle over the same
messages time and again, never actually processing them (although it'd virus
and SpamAssassin scan them, just not deliver them on). The only error was in
/var/log/messages, being variations on the following: "Process did not exit
cleanly, returned 255 with signal 0".

Running check_MailScanner with Debug = yes and Debug SpamAssassin = yes
turned up the following error: "Unmatched ) in regex; marked by <-- HERE in
m/\.[a-z0-9]{3}) <-- HERE \1$/ at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/SweepOther.pm line 273."

I took a look at that file and couldn't see anything obviously wrong,
although it's hard to tell as the regex is actually being passed in as a
variable. To get round the problem I added the following: "$regex =
quotemeta ($regex);" just before that line, which cured the problem and
doesn't seem to have broken anything else (check_MailScanner returned no
problems and the server is now processing mail correctly).

Any thoughts on what could have caused this and whether my fix is okay?

TIA,

Symon.