delay and xdelay

Jan Agermose ja at conviator.com
Sat May 31 10:03:21 IST 2008

hi

I want to check what delays are put on the emails going though my
scanner so I need to check what delay and xdelay really means (from
/var/log/maillog). Also if someone could point me to an "official" site
that explains it.

 So fare I have found one saying the

delay = the time from accepting and queuing the mail to the first
delivery attempt

xdelay = the time from the first delivery attemt to the final attempt

could this be true? Then what I'm looking for would be the "delay" value
since I don't really care if I'm unable to deliver the mail in the first
attempt as this must be an external problem out of my control.

regards

Jan