users who get more than there share of spam

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Tue May 27 20:59:50 IST 2008

Hi all,

I wondered if any of the experts on the list had any suggestions for
this problem.

I have a few users who gave their name to the wrong website and get way
more than there share of spam.  I've been trying to figure out a way to
bring those numbers down for them.

Most of the spam coming through to us either doesn't make it past the
geylist or gets marked  by the Mailscanner process and then sent to a
junk folder by procmail upon delivery. These folks get hundreds in the
junk mail folder every day and hundreds per week that slip through the
process. It makes their mail unmanageable particularly as we are in an
area where many of them still have to retrieve their mail with a 28k
dialup connection when they are at home.

At this point it seems as though improving the spam marking process for
us would involve spending money on external services that we don't have
to spend and it is working well enough for the average user. Would
anybody have any suggestions on how to help users who get caught up in
this sort of thing short of giving them a new address and bouncing
everything to the old one?

Thanks
--
John Baker