HTML Footers and Outlook/Word 2003?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 21 16:53:58 IST 2008

That's possible.
MailScanner adds the signature in the MIME tree "epilogue", which is
after all other elements of the MIME tree of the message. This makes it
display in the right place in email programs. However, there is a small
chance that something b***dead like Word could keep the epilogue in
place even after it deletes the message body. It should delete the
epilogue too, just like everyone else does.

I can't easily change where the epilogue goes, as the technique I have
used works very reliably everywhere else and in other situations. I
don't want to fix what mostly ain't broken.

Jules.

Paul Hutchings wrote:

> I’m not sure if this is an Outlook/Word issue or something to do with
> my html signature code or how MailScanner appends signatures, so I’ll
> start here.
>
> One of our customers has reported the following:
>
> It looked like I’ve gone mad again, but I’ve just done a quick test,
> and the footer is apparently randomly appearing back into old messages
> after deleting all the text. The footer doesn’t appear in the message
> body, but after sending, it’s back again. If I re-open the message,
> and do a “reply all” (like this one), then the footer disappears again
> (as below). Can you let me know how you or your server embeds the footer?
>
> Have a go with (Outlook 2003, SP3. Using Word from Office 2003 as the
> e-mail editor):
>
> - Open an existing MIRA e-mail that has a distribution list that you
> want to re-use.
>
> - Do “reply all”.
>
> - Change the subject, type the message, plus attachments, etc.
>
> - Delete all the original text (including the footer).
>
> - Press “send”.
>
> - Open the e-mail from sent items, and the footer comes back!
>
> - Do “reply all” using the sent item, and the footer does not appear
> in the message body.
>
> This email should have the signature appended if anyone wants to check
> how a mesage is formatted as it leaves us.
>
> Any ideas on who/what/where the problem lies?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul
>
> Paul Hutchings
>
> Network Administrator, MIRA Ltd.
>
> Tel: 44 (0)24 7635 5378
>
> Fax: 44 (0)24 7635 8378
>
> mailto:paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk

> *MIRA Ltd*
> Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England.
> Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
> VAT Registration GB 114 5409 96
>
> The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the
> use of the intended recipient.
> If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify us
> either by e-mail, telephone or fax.
> You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the
> e-mail as this is prohibited.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng