clamd problems after update

Dave Jones davejones70 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 13:28:37 IST 2008

>>You can try the util "clamdscan" (NOT clamscan) which will contact clamd
>>to have files scanned.
>>If that works your clamd is alive. If it says something along

>>connect(): No such file or directory
>>WARNING: Can't connect to clamd.

>>then your clamd is broken.
>>Try starting it with

>$> /etc/init.d/clamd start

>clamdscan works fine, but I am still getting the following errors, and
mailwatch shows zero viruses, even though tailing maillog shows viruses are
discovered. Spent most of two days on this >now:( Nothing gets logged to
clamd.log unless I start it manually. Clamav.log shows nothing. Clamav is
owner of both logss.

>May 16 14:40:27 relay-1 MailScanner[3889]: ERROR:: COULD NOT CONNECT TO
CLAMD, RECOMMEND RESTARTING DAEMON
>May 16 14:40:27 relay-1 MailScanner[3750]: Clamd::ERROR:: COULD NOT CONNECT
TO CLAMD, RECOMMEND RESTARTING DAEMON :: .
>May 16 14:40:27 relay-1 MailScanner[3750]: Virus Scanning: Clamd found 1
infections

I have to change my /etc/clamd.conf to "LocalSocket /tmp/clamd" (or "Clamd
Socket = /tmp/clamd.socket" in the MailScanner.conf) so MailScanner can find
Clamd via the socket file.  Run "MailScanner --lint" before you do anything
and note any clam errors.  Then make the edit, restart clamd and run
"MailScanner --lint" again to see if everything is happy after the change.

--
Dave Jones