Multiple server in transport file

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Fri May 16 22:10:52 IST 2008

Gregory Wong wrote:
> Hi everyone. I am starting to relay for a domain that uses multiple
> front end mail servers to accept mail mainly for redundancy purposes. In
> the transport file, the domains I am relaying for are currently setup
> like this:
>

> domain.com smtp:[mx1.domain.com]
>

> If I wanted to enter more than one mail server for domain.com, how do I
> do it? If its not possible does anyone else have any workarounds?

It would help if you said which MTA you are using....

The sendmail way to do this (in /etc/mail/mailertable):

domain.com	esmtp:[1.2.3.4]:[5.6.7.8]:[host.domain.com]

However, the entries are used in order like an MX record, so a
connection to each server in the order listed (left-to-right) is
attempted and if the connection fails the next server listed is used.

Regards,
Steve.