MailScanner Blacklists

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 8 18:19:52 IST 2008

Paul McEwan wrote:
> OK, everybody has given very useful information this morning
>
> SMTP AUTH is enabled.  So MailScanner checks before they authenticate, and
> that's why they're getting bounced?

No, MailScanner checks afterwards, but _despite_ they have
authenticated. MailScanner doesn't know they authenticated, only your
MTA knows that.
> If so, I'll do as everyone suggests and make SendMail do the checks with a
> carefully selected blacklist

That's the right solution. Make sure you set sendmail to delay-checks as
otherwise they will be rejected before they have a chance to authenticate.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM