Word Document and themeManager.x10.rel

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue May 6 15:11:09 IST 2008

Phil Udel wrote:
> HI everyone.
> Strange thing was reported to me today.  a User is getting a "Warning:
> E-mail viruses detected" when he sends a Word Document.
>
> How can I change the filename.rules.conf to allow ONLY these hidden
> extensions.
> themeManager.x10.rel
> themeManager.x11.rel
> themeManager.x12.rel
> themeManager.x13.rel
>

> This is the complete error:
>
> One or more of the attachments (28784.doc, themeManager.x12.rel,
> themeManager.x10.rel, 4640.doc, themeManager.x13.rel, 7504.doc,
> 1020.doc, themeManager.x11.rel) are on the list of unacceptable
> attachments for this site and will not have been delivered.
>
> Consider renaming the files to avoid this constraint.
>
> The virus detector said this about the message:
>
> Report: Report: MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension
> (themeManager.x12.rel)
>
> Report: MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension
> (themeManager.x10.rel)
>
> Report: MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension
> (themeManager.x13.rel)
>
> Report: MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension
> (themeManager.x11.rel)

Check your filename rules (might be filename.rules.conf) and search for
the string "Attempt to hide real filename extension". Comment the line
out and reload/restart Mailscanner. This used to be a Microsoft
exploitable vulnerability. You shouldn't need it now, as best as I can
recall, unless you are running old stuff.

I could be wrong.

Steve Campbell