How to check for existing mail accounts?

Brendan Pirie bpirie at rma.edu
Mon Mar 31 13:53:16 IST 2008

Benedict simon wrote:
>> Kevin Miller wrote:

>>> Then see http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-sav.html
>>>
>>> Note that this does both sender and recipient address verification.  I
>>> presume your gateway is forwarding on to another host where the
>>> recipients actually reside.  The milter uses ldap calls to get the
>>> recipient data, so your internal email server will need to be able to do
>>> that.  Ours is Exchange, which does.
>>>
>>> HTH...
>>>
>>> ...Kevin
>> Correction - smf-sav milter does not use ldap.  It uses the call-ahead
>> method, so ldap is not required (one of the reasons I chose it).
>>
>> Clarification - smf-sav milter is capable of doing both sender and
>> recipient address verification.  Sender verification can (and in many
>> cases should) be disabled.
>>
>> Brendan
>
> Thanks Brenden,
>
> I jus read ur reply to the above post and did get a some qucik ideas.
> I am using sendmail 8.13 and mailscanner + spamassassain + clamav
>  and also squirrelmail
>
> can the above milters work with sendmail n mailscanner and will it be
> useful in addtion to my confguration
>
> apprecite your help and suggestion
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> simon

Simon,

milters work with sendmail (or postfix) at the MTA level.  Use of
spamassassin, mailscanner, squirrelmail, clamav, or any other software
is not really relevant.  As to whether it will be useful to your
configuration, that is a decision for you to make.

I implemented it largely because I run a sendmail mail server and a
sendmail mail gateway, and didn't want to go the ldap route to drop
unknown users at the gateway.

Brendan