preventing backscatter at the source

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Mon Mar 31 13:21:01 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:
> I have 1 use for a backup MX (or 2 MXs in my case). Unless your primary

I have another use for a secondary (lower priority) MX, very useful for
providing a real, live mail feed for testing and change control. Perform
upgrade, listen on secondary MX IP address, check all is well with
upgrade. The important part is make sure all mail that goes to this
secondary/test MX is sent directly to /dev/null. Also, stop listening
when not in use - there are a number of corner cases which can result in
valid mail going to your invalid MX even if you have triple redundant
primary MXs.

GREG

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445