Every email is tagged as spam

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Mar 31 11:19:59 IST 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:54:01 +0800
"Glen Prestidge" <tech1 at computer-care.com.au> wrote:

> I am having a problem with a customer's server running freebsd 6.2
> with Mailscanner + clamav + Spamassin

> These are the version of what is currently installed
> p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.7_1
> clamav-0.88.
> MailScanner-4.55.10

> Every email that we get send to that server is classified as spam even
> though no text in the email or it's from a legitimate source

> I am reluctant to upgrade the software, using the portmanager program
> on freebsd - it installs a new version of mail tools which knocks out
> mailscanner.

> This only started since Thursday of last week and nothing on the
> server has been updated from what I can see, and staff at the office
> don't have access to any of the servers there.

First, check to see if you are using ordb.org. If you are, remove it.
There are several postings on this list, and others, regarding it.

Second, the program versions you listed above are seriously
out-of-date. Especially, 'clamav', which I believe had a security
problem that was corrected in the newest version. In any case, its
scanning speed was improved vastly.

I use FreeBSD myself, so I know something about it. I would recommend
that you first update your ports tree. Then, assuming you are using the
latest version of 'portmanager', run: 'portmanager -u -p -l -y' sans
quotation marks. Reboot the system and check to see if 'Mailscanner'
starts and runs correctly. It should. If not, reinstall 'MailScanner'.

cd /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner
make clean && make && make deinstall && make reinstall

Actually, I do not have a problem when updating. I am not sure why you
would either.

--
Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net

The great nations have always acted like gangsters and the small nations
like prostitutes.

	Stanley Kubrick