SMTP AUTH and no Scanning

Alessandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Sun Mar 30 14:52:02 IST 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 04:00:38PM +0100, Marcel Blenkers wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> this question is really easy..i guess.. .)
>
> As i am now using SMTP Auth and got almost every user on the system to do
> so, i would love to skip those mails, sended by those users who used smtp
> auth, for scanning.
>
> Means,
>
> a user sends a mail with smtp auth and the mail will go through unscanned.
> Or do you think this is a bad idea?

I'm also interested in this. But... can we talk to the MTA if we put rbl at
the MTA level as I do now? Does the MTA (postfix in my case) accept smtp
auth from an rbld-ed IP? I have:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
 permit_mynetworks
 permit_sasl_authenticated
 reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

Does any 'permit' come *before* a 'reject'? How can I test (I gues I should
setup a test zone in my dns configuration...)?

After the MTA puts the message in the queue, I think there is no more
evidence that it received the message via smtp-auth. So I guess it's the MTA
that should take care not to handle it to mailscanner. If that's true I
should turn

  /^Received:/ HOLD

into a more sofisticated one that puts the flag only in case it has been
received from an smtp authenticated connection. Does that make sense?

sandro
*:-)