preventing backscatter at the source

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 29 17:13:57 GMT 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>Alex Neuman wrote:
>| Come on... like you've never forgotten to put someone important or your
>| whitelist... Or sent a message from a less-than-reputable-IP... :D
>|
>| It's not configured incorrectly, it's not configured correctly enough!  :D
>
>If you use the sender info in ANY spam message after you did content
>scanning and send a reply then you have a major problem in your config.
>
>There is no valid reason what so ever to bugger a sender about spam.

I think you are misinterpreting what happened. If you look carefully at
the message (archived at
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2008-March/083357.html>),
I think you'll see that he did not bounce a list message. He replied
to a list message and his reply was flagged by MailScanner on the way
out so the notice we received (with his reply attached) was a notice
to the recipient, not a bounce to the sender.