OT: Sendmail REJECT or DISCARD preference

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Mar 28 23:30:23 GMT 2008

on 3-28-2008 10:34 AM Peter Farrow spake the following:
> Matt Kettler wrote:

>>> If you reject,  and its spoofed you'll get it back anyway, so you end
>>> up receiving and then storing it in the postmaster address, it is
>>> always best to discard in this scenario...or even worse bouncing it
>>> again
>>>

>> Stop confusing REJECT with post delivery bouncing :) See my other post
>> in this thread.
> I am talking about sendmail access file entries at the MTA level....
> nothing else...my point is the general notice supplied in the REJECT
> directive often ends up coming back round...I've seen it many times..
There is no backscatter unless it comes through a third parties relay.
The reject  and discard both happen during the time that the sending server is
connected to your server. There is no separate message to backscatter. It is
just as if someone was talking to you and in mid sentence you put up your hand
and said "stop talking", or just stuck your fingers in your ears and stopped
listening.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and