OT: Sendmail REJECT or DISCARD preference

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Mar 28 23:22:19 GMT 2008

on 3-28-2008 7:44 AM Steve Campbell spake the following:
> Since we're hitting the access file pretty hard today, I thought I'd ask
> a question about what most might put in there.
>
> I typically use the DISCARD parameter instead of the REJECT, with the
> reason being I don't want to add to the trash on the web. What do most
> use here and am I correct in thinking that DISCARD is less bandwidth and
> CPU intensive?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Steve

Since both happen while you are connected to the sending server, it isn't that
big of a deal. The difference is that while the sender is still talking do you
say "woah there" and then hang up, or do you just silently drop the connection.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and