How to check for existing mail accounts?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Mar 28 22:14:34 GMT 2008

Johnny Stork wrote:
> its sendmail
>
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>> Johnny Stork wrote:
>>
>>> I have noticed a large increase in the amount of spam coming in to
>>> MS (latest) running on CentOS 5 and many are coming into
>>> non-existent email accounts. Is there a check that can be done for
>>> the existence of an account first, and then if non-existent, block
>>> even before any scanning is done, let alone processing through MS.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions that anyone can give
>>>

>> What MTA are you using?  You can run recipeint verification on
>> sendmail via milters, and I'm sure Postfix has similar
>> functionality...
>>
>> ...Kevin

Then see http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-sav.html

Note that this does both sender and recipient address verification.  I
presume your gateway is forwarding on to another host where the
recipients actually reside.  The milter uses ldap calls to get the
recipient data, so your internal email server will need to be able to do
that.  Ours is Exchange, which does.

HTH...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500