OT: Sendmail REJECT or DISCARD preference

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Fri Mar 28 18:50:22 GMT 2008

Steve Freegard wrote:
> Peter Farrow wrote:
>> If you reject,  and its spoofed you'll get it back anyway, so you end
>> up receiving and then storing it in the postmaster address, it is
>> always best to discard in this scenario...or even worse bouncing it again
>
> Huh? - explain this a bit better as it doesn't make sense to me.

I believe you can get in this situation if you get a lot of e-mail
forwarded to your servers on behalf of your clients by an intermediate
ISP.  If you then reject the e-mail at SMTP time the intermediate ISP
tries to relay the reject as a bounce and you then get backscatter.

Quietly discarding the spam gets rid of the backscatter, along with any
false positives.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way of pushing your rejection criteria
out to the intermediate ISPs so they can avoid accepting e-mail you
won't accept from them.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall