backscatter problem {Scanned by Allteks Mailsafe}

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Fri Mar 28 17:13:37 GMT 2008

Hi Simon,

Simon Jones wrote:
> mmm, that's the problem isn't it - valid addresses!  I've seen this
> increase a LOT this week it's nice to know i've not been the only one.
>
> I think milter-ahead is a sendmail app isn't it?  I used to use that a
> few years ago before switching to postfix (it's easier to administer!) I
> played around with some of snertsoft's filters back then and they seemed
> to work really well.

Postfix can run Sendmail milters now so I would suggest checking out
milter-null (free) which works in a similar fashion to the watermarking
in MailScanner but should not suffer from the same problems with the
read-receipts. See http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-null/

Alternatively, our BarricadeMX product written by SnertSoft and FSL has
an advanced watermarking features and a whole bunch of other stuff that
can nuke this stuff at the SMTP level and help reduce the load on
MailScanner at the same time.  See http://www.snertsoft.com/smtp/smtpf/

All watermarking software will require that all your outbound mail go
out via gateways running them otherwise valid bounces will be rejected
in addition to the bad ones.

> I'm sure I can crack this with some sort of rule set, anyways I'll keep
> plugging away but any comments are really appreciated.

If you haven't already, check out the VBOUNCE plug-in for SA -
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VBounceRuleset as this will do
something similar (without the watermarks) but in SA instead.

Regards,
Steve.