backscatter problem

Simon Jones simonmjones at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:53:21 GMT 2008

On 28/03/2008, Damian Rivas <damian at cht.com.ar> wrote:

> >Hi all,  anyone help with some good rules to combat backscatter email?
> i seem to have a real problem with this at the moment, mostly bouncing
> back from .ru domains to my customers.  i'm sure a ruleset will help but
> i'm not certain what would >be best, header checks or something in the
> spam rules?
> >
> >thanks
> >
> >SMJ
>
> The solutions depends on your MTA, if you are using sendmail check this:
>
> http://elqui.dcsc.utfsm.cl/util/email/backscatter.html
>
> And this:
>
> http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html
>
> If you are using postfix check this:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html
>
> If you have another MTA just google "mta+backscatter" and you'll find
> tons of information.

thanks, the unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450 and
relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients is a good start
but it doesn't help if a customer has something like info@ / enquiries@ etc
that are easy to guess.

i'm also running version 2.3.4 so it's well protected against backscatter by
default.

if you have seen something else i've missed on google relating to postfix
i'd appreciate a pointer.

SMJ