OT: your sendmail throttle setting?

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Mar 27 13:08:33 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:15:44AM -0400, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A Quick query of the sendmail users out there in MailScanner-land.
> What do you use for your sendmail ConnectionRateThrottle setting,
> if you use it?

>From my current .mc file:

dnl -----------------------------------------------------------------------
dnl -- configuration variables mla 20070507 to try to keep sendmail      --
dnl -- sort-of working under very heavy load                             --
dnl --                                                                   --
dnl -- references are to Sendmail 3rd edition (O'Reilly) by              --
dnl -- Costales and Allman                                               --
dnl -----------------------------------------------------------------------
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE',`4')dnl   24.9.21 throttle if >4 connections/sec
dnl define(`confDELAY_LA',`8')dnl               24.9.30 sleep a second between responses if LA>=8
define(`confDELAY_LA',`12')dnl                  24.9.30 sleep a second between responses if LA>=12
define(`confQUEUE_FACTOR',`99')dnl              24.9.83 change computation of point at which
dnl                                                     sendmail queues and stops delivering
define(`confQUEUE_LA',`99')dnl                  24.9.85 queue when
dnl                                                     msgpri > QUEUE_FACTOR/(LA - QUEUE_LA - 1)
define(`confQUEUE_SORT_ORDER',`host')dnl        4.9.86 try to deliver together all mail for
dnl                                                    a given host
dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA',`9')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA',`13')dnl                 24.9.90 refuse connections when LA >= 13

All these are what we use at my dayjob; none of them is guaranteed to
be optimal, or even to work, for you. Not valid without this signature.
Do not take with milk. Caution: manufactured in a facility that also
processes nuts.

I'm moving from this 1-core 1-CPU 3.4 GHz IBM x335 to a much roomier,
much more capable server, and expect to be able to process mail at
close to wire speed.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx