Large uptake in spam?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:05:31 GMT 2008

On 24/03/2008, Rob Poe <rpoe at plattesheriff.org> wrote:
> I've noticed a large uptake in the amount of spam my gateways are seeing.
>
>  Of course, it's causing a higher than normal load on the servers, and people are complaining because we're getting SA timeouts due to the load.
>
>  Do people here use / recommend setting up Sendmail to reject based on no valid reverse DNS?

I wouldn't, but some feel it to be OK.

>  Milter-SAV ?

For recipient verification, not sender verification, yes. Be part of
the solution, not the problem... As some would say.:-)

>  What free RBL's are people using?  The ones I've seen are "Use this lightly" and if you don't .. you get blacklisted from them ..

Since I'm a "light" user, spamhaus works fine for me... Due to
regulations etc not in the MTA... Will probably implement selective
greylisting as soon as I find time though, and use some BLs for that
(as per Matt Kettlers excellent advice).

>  What else do you recommend?
>
>  I'm using Sendmail / SMF-Grey / SA / MailScanner
RFC strictness and greet_pause?

>  Server is P4 1.9 2gigs mirrored IDE hard drives..

Cheers
--
-- Glenn