How do you count e-mail?

Jason Ede J.Ede at birchenallhowden.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 13:39:19 GMT 2008

From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Glenn Steen [glenn.steen at gmail.com]
Sent: 19 March 2008 11:33
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: How do you count e-mail?

=>
> If you have that number of postfix processes you definitely need a local version of rbldnsd running if you want to keep your response times sensible... The spamhaus feed is well worth the money (we use it) and it makes quite a difference in response times for the RBL lookups with it all being local. Also for when you reject emails its a good idea to set the reject wait time to 0 (it defaults to waiting for I think 1 second) before rejecting email. Details on that setting is in one of the postfix tuning links that have been posted previously.

~500K of the rejects are from invalid HELO/EHLO... So they don't reach
any rbl checking... But if a sizeable part of the others do... Not
saying "don't do rbldnsd", on the contrary... Just pointing out that
those specific rejects wouldn't "count":-).

>  We find that around 90% of our attempted rejections are because of the spamhaus blacklists (be careful with using the pbl one depending on where the email is coming from) and then about 5%-6% with the other rbl's, receipt verification and greylisting. We only average about 1million attempted connections a month though.
>

>  Jason

Cheers
--
-- Glenn

True... I'm guessing of the emails that do get accepted and turn out to be spam a significant percentage would have been blocked by RBL's...

Jason