yet another UNKNOWN CLAMD RETURN: ./OUTGOING/Unable to open file or directory ERROR

Andrei adc at dc-uoit.net
Tue Mar 18 16:21:52 GMT 2008

Hello all!

Has anyone seen anything like this:

Mar 18 11:57:22 mailgw MailScanner[4691]: Clamd::ERROR:: UNKNOWN CLAMD RETURN ./OUTGOING/Unable to open file or directory ERROR :: /tmp/SA-Temp/4691

This started to show up in syslog after I've upgraded my Debian MailScanner
to the version in lenny/testing (that is 4.66.5).

I run clamd, of course.  In MailScanner.conf I have

The Incoming Work Dir = /tmp/SA-Temp
Incoming Work User = clamav
Incoming Work Group = clamav
Incoming Work Permissions = 0660

(note the liberal perms of 0660!)

However, I find these OUTGOING files under /tmp/SA-Temp:

# ls -lt /tmp/SA-Temp/*/OUTGOING
-rw------- 1 root clamav 0 2008-03-18 11:45 /tmp/SA-Temp/11336/OUTGOING
-rw------- 1 root clamav 0 2008-03-18 09:19 /tmp/SA-Temp/4980/OUTGOING
-rw------- 1 root clamav 0 2008-03-18 09:03 /tmp/SA-Temp/4796/OUTGOING

Clamd runs as clamav, and since these files are root owned, they can't have
been created by clamd.  MailScanner is instructed to use clamav as both user
and group under the Incoming Work Dir, and also to create files with mode
0660, so it'd seem some other process creates them.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  Is there any additional info that I
should provide?

Thanks,
adc