getting Mailscanner to work with Mailwatch/Postfix

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 18 16:11:57 GMT 2008

on 3-17-2008 5:03 PM Julian Field spake the following:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 3-17-2008 10:10 AM John Baker spake the following:
>>> I did indeed forget that you need to execute bit on for a process to
>>> create a directory. Hey, its been a while since Unix 101. :)
>>>
>>> But the source of confusion here for me as much as the Mailwatch wiki
>>> ,which I did take the directions from, is that the default
>>> Mailscanner.conf file has Quarantine Permissions = 0600 leading one
>>> to believe that the execute bit is not necessary. This is in the
>>> Mailscanner book as well.
>>>
>>> What is the function of this line in the file? It seems to be ignored
>>> by   the actual process.
>>>
>> Remember, Julian originally wrote MailScanner to run with sendmail as
>> root, so it didn't have the permission changes that newer MTA's
>> require to NOT run as root.
>
> But I wrote in the non-root support for the other MTA's quite a long
> time ago. It should all work okay.
>
> Jules

I was just leading the poster to not making assumptions on how the permissions
should be handled and follow the instructions available.

If only other things worked as well as mailscanner does!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and