different stages of MailScanner scan process

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Mon Mar 17 09:11:38 GMT 2008

Hi,

  On my servers I run MailScanner 4.59.4 with 17 Child processes ( 4GB
Ram dual Xeon Machines )
If I do a "ps" I can see that a MailScanner child process is doing one
particular operation. ( changing the process name in PS is an excellent
idea )

Under normal times I can see that most processes are doing spamcheck and
mails are getting cleared

But sometimes all child processes are stuck at doing "compressing
attachments" or "cleaning messages" and the mailq keeps piling. I either
have to wait quiet long for it to clear or I restart MailScanner and
then the mailq disappears

I want to debug these conditions
What are the different stages of Mailscanner scanning and what do each
mean

Thanks
Ram