MailScanner: extracting attachments

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Mar 16 20:47:48 GMT 2008

Devon Harding wrote:

>     > The usual way for me to restart MailScanner after a change is
>     >
>     > service MailScaner restart;tail -f /var/log/maillog
>     >
>     > Then the output of the syslog file will show wether or not
>     MailScanner
>     > was happy or if I had my fingers all thumbled up again and made some
>     > horrible typos.
>     >

> I too have to start MailScanner with tail as sometimes sendmail
> doesn't dire gracefully and you end up with port in use.
>

>     Unfortunately, I read the config after I've forked, unlike Apache
>     which
>     appears to read it first. So by the time I've read the config it's
>     already too late.
>     I'll take a look, but don't hold out much hope other than reading the
>     conf then throwing it away, just to syntax check it before
>     starting up.
>     That might be possible.
>

> This would be really slick and save some time troubleshooting.
I've just spent the last 3 hours or so trying to implement this :-(
Because of the fact that I read the configuration template data from a
Perl source file itself, I can't read it in twice, I can't rewind the
filehandle as Perl won't let me.

So, at the moment, no can do. Sorry.

It is surely good practice to do a "MailScanner --lint" after changing
stuff anyway, isn't it?

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng