Email filtering by attachments

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 19:08:02 GMT 2008

One question for you, I want to see what people think.
When the original recipients are replaced with the recipient given in
the forwarding rules for the attachments, what should be put in the
addresses used for matching other rulesets?

Should the message continue to match based on its original recipients,
or should it match based on the new "forwarding rules" recipients?

I suspect it doesn't matter either way, very much. But I want to hear
your comments.

Julian Field wrote:
> * PGP Signed: 03/12/08 at 09:53:26
>
> This is all written and working and will be in the next release.
> Instead of allow/deny/deny+delete at the start of the line in
> filename.rules.conf or filetype.rules conf files, you can now specify
> a space- or comma-separated list of email addresses. If the rule
> matches, the message's entire original list of recipients will be
> replaced with the addresses named here.
>
> I plan to do a new beta release very soon, there's quite a lot to go
> in it.
>
> Julian Field wrote:
>> > Old Signed: 03/12/08 at 08:43:12
>>
>> This is a fair request. It can be done at the moment, but it's pretty
>> awkward to implement.
>> Coming soon to a MailScanner near you (as long as my night spent
>> working out how to do it bears fruit).
>>
>> Noam Kleiman wrote:
>>> I’m filtering some extensions using the filename.rules.conf but I
>>> can only allow or deny those emails. What I need is to redirect
>>> mails with certain extensions to a specific mailbox.
>>> For example I like to redirect all the mails delivered to a specific
>>> domain with .avi attachments into a specific mailbox.
>>> The single suggestion I have found is to assign a high spam score to
>>> the email with the extension I want to redirect and then to set a
>>> rule for high scoring emails from a specific domain to be redirected
>>> to a specific account, but that account will receive all the high
>>> spam score and not only the filtered by attachment. Is there any way
>>> to have a forward rule for emails with certain attachments?
>>>
>>> Any other idea? I have seen some suggestions to do it with Procmail
>>> but I rather do it through Mailscanner.
>>>
>>> --
>>> dangerous content by *MailScanner*, and is
>>> believed to be clean.
>>
>> Jules
>>

> Jules

Jules