Spam with random letter sequences

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 15:46:38 GMT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Julian Field wrote:

> Anyone been seeing any spam that looks like this?

Yes.

> Anyone know any good ways of stopping it?

No.

But it seems genuinely to come through "yahoo" (judging by the "Received:"
field as it hops over the garden wall into our jurisdiction).

We've been seeing it for several days.  The content seems too random for
Bayes to do anything systematically reliably with it.  And the embedded
URLs seem to hop about, possibly too fast for the blacklists (accessed via
SA) to keep pace.  (We also use "spamhaus", via JANET, to do MTA blocking,
which may stop some; but there's a lot still gets through.)

I wonder how much Yahoo are doing to try to block it?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :