F-Prot Broken with new version

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 8 22:38:20 GMT 2008

Gerry Doris wrote:
> Julian, here are the results of 4.86.2-2.   I have the following
> version of f-prot installed.
>
> F-PROT Antivirus version 6.2.1
So you do have version 6 installed after all.

Please install the patched version 4.86.2-3 I just released for you. I
omitted a $ sign in one line of code. Then set
Virus Scanners = f-protd-6
in MailScanner.conf and then
    MailScanner --lint
should work just fine, so long as you have got fpscand running.
Do a
    ps ax | grep fpscand
and kill anything you've got running.
Do
    service f-protd start
and then do the
    ps ax | grep fpscand
command again and make sure you have fpscand running. If the "service"
command said it couldn't find the f-protd service then try
    chkconfig --add f-protd
then do the service command again. If it still can't find the f-protd
service, then you need to
    cp /usr/local/f-prot/rc-scripts/fpscand.rc-redhat /etc/init.d/f-protd
    chkconfig --add f-protd
    service f-protd start
    MailScanner --lint
then edit /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf and make sure that the
f-prot-6 and f-protd-6 lines both refer to /usr/local/f-prot,
and it should then work. That's assuming you installed f-prot version 6
into /usr/local/f-prot.

The F-Prot 6 installer isn't perfect, not by a long shot :-(

believed to be clean.