F-Prot Broken with new version

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 8 20:23:30 GMT 2008

I have just released 4.68.2-2 for you, which includes the fix I posted
for you a few minutes ago.
I don't like leaving known-broken code out there, it generates more work
for me explaining the workaround.

Jules.

P.S. Please let me know how you get on with 4.68.2-2.

Gerry Doris wrote:
> I upgraded to the new stable version and tried running MailScanner
> --lint.  It complains that there's an invalid argument -old being
> passed???
>
> I don't have f-prot-6 installed.  Also, I manually ran
> update_virus_scanners and it successfully checked/updated all scanners
> including f-prot.  f-prot runs correctly using the information from
> virus.scanners.conf.
>
> MailScanner --lint
> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
> Checking version numbers...
> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.68.2) is correct.
>
> Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
>
> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamd f-prot bitdefender"
> ERROR:: COULD NOT CONNECT TO FPSCAND, RECOMMEND RESTARTING DAEMON ::
> ISITINSTALLED
> Found these virus scanners installed: bitdefender, clamavmodule,
> f-prot, clamd
>
> Invalid argument '-old'
>
> Virus Scanner test reports:
> Clamd said "eicar.com was infected: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND"
> Bitdefender said "Found virus EICAR-Test-File (not a virus) in file
> eicar.com"
>
> If any of your virus scanners (bitdefender,clamavmodule,f-prot,clamd)
> are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
> and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its
> virus.scanners.conf.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng