F-Prot 6 (and lack of speed thereof)

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Thu Mar 6 13:11:38 GMT 2008

[...]
 > > Not much, no. The f-protd expects http GET like syntax, it
 > returns xml (even
 > > the error codes) so I would think there will be a bit more
 > to the parseing,
 > > as well as building the command. The documentation
 > reference properl url
 > > encoded, and it requires the ?/& separators between
 > arguments as well (of
 > > course). And I really don't like the sound of this part:
 > >
 > > "The Daemon Scanner is designed to automatically update
 > itself by executing
 > > itself when a new version is in place. The newly executed
 > copy is will bind
 > > to the next available port in it's range (by default
 > 10200-10204) since the
 > > outdated process stays alive for about 5 - 10 seconds.
 > This is done to
 > > guarantee that there is always at least one daemon
 > available at any given
 > > time. Clients are expected to cycle through the port range
 > to find a live
 > > Daemon Scanner when the one they were previously using dies."
 > >
 > Where did you find that bit? I haven't seen that in my
 > documentation.
 > And it certainly doesn't talk anything like XML.
 >
 > I have some working code that assumes the daemon is at 10200.
 >
 > I have been reading 'man fpscand'.

I was just reading :
http://www.f-prot.com/support/unix/unix_manpages/f-protd.8.html

And BTW I came across this :
http://search.cpan.org/~avar/FProt-Client-0.09/Client.pm

Perhaps the xml has to do with the version? The Fprot::Client package
doesn't list a version requirement so who knows if it works with the latest
and greatest or not.

Rick

believed to be clean.