rpm install of perl-Test-Pod-1.26-1 from install.sh fails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 6 01:25:54 GMT 2008

I don't know if this is appropriate for this list or not, but I noticed
in the output from running the rpm based install.sh script for
MailScanner 4.67.6-1 on CentOS 5, that the install of
perl-Test-Pod-1.26-1 fails because the 'make test' fails 5 tests.

I'm not very familiar with perl installs or tests, but it seems to me
that the failures are due to incorrect regexps in the tests (or
possibly a version mismatch in a dependency) rather than actual
failures.

One example is

t/cut-outside-block....
#     Failed test (t/cut-outside-block.t at line 20)
# STDERR is:
# #     Failed test (t/cut-outside-block.t at line 15)
# # t/cut-outside-block.pod (5): =cut found outside a pod block.
Skipping to next block.
#
# not:
# /#\s+Failed\ test.*?\n?.*?at\ t\/cut\-outside\-block\.t line 15.*\n?/
#
# # t/cut-outside-block.pod (5): =cut found outside a pod block.
Skipping to next block.
#
# as expected

In other words it is looking for

   "at t/cut-outside-block.t line 15"

and getting

   "(t/cut-outside-block.t at line 15)"

so the test is failed. The other four tests fail in exactly the same
way. The end result is perl-Test-Pod-1.26-1 is not installed.

I believe this also happened with the installation of MailScanner betas
4.67.4 and 4.67.5. I don't think it occurred with my initial install
of 4.65

This doesn't seem to affect the operation of MailScanner, and it does
occur in the section where installs are preceded by

  Do not worry too much about errors from the next command.
  It is quite likely that some of the Perl modules are
  already installed on your system.

  The important ones are HTML-Parser and MIME-tools.

so I'm not too concerned, but I wonder if anyone has any insight into
the problem.