MailScanner ANNOUNCE: stable 4.67.6 released

Mike W mikew at crucis.net
Tue Mar 4 20:37:02 GMT 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Mike W wrote:
> > I'm a non-guru, so please let me know when I've made a mistake.
>
> > I've been unable to get MailScanner to use any anti-virus except for
> ClamAV.
>
> > With that in mind, I deleted MS 4.66.5-3 and downloaded 4.67.6.
>
> > I got compile failure in two  modules. perl-Archive-Zip and
> > Perl-Storable. Install.sh continued and appeared to install
> > MailScanner.  However, at runtime I get the following error:
>
> > [root at cygni MailScanner-4.67.6-1]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner restart
> > Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
> >          MailScanner:                                      [FAILED]
> >          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
> >          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
> > Waiting for MailScanner to die gracefully  dead.
> > Starting MailScanner daemons:
> >          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
> >          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
> >          MailScanner:        is only avaliable with the XS version at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
> > Compilation failed in require at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
> > Compilation failed in require at
> > /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> > /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
> > Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
> >                                                            [  OK  ]
>
> > I downloaded perl-Archive-Zip from the Fedora site, re-ran the install
> > script and still have the same errors.  Running install.sh -nodeps makes
> > no change.
>
> Run the following 2 commands and post their entire output here:
> MailScanner --debug
> MailScanner --lint
> The first command, if there is no mail in the queue, will eventually
> reach a point where it says it is building a batch of messages and will
> go no further, at which point you need to thump Ctrl-C to quit it.
> MailScanner --lint will run to completion.
>
> I think you will get an error message (or more) immediately from both of
> the commands, and we need to see all the error output.
>
> You may well have a library missing. Do you have both of these RPMs
> installed
>     libz
>     libz-devel
> If not, then install both of them. Compress-Zlib won't work without them.
>
> > Anyone point me toward fixing this other than backing out perl and
> > starting all over again?
>
> Don't do that :-(
>
> Jules

Here's the output of MailScanner --lint
[root at cygni mailscanner]# MailScanner --lint
 is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.

And here's the output of MailScanner --debug
[root at cygni mailscanner]# MailScanner --debug
 is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.

I've found an old version of libz and libz-devel version 1.2.0.7.  Is
that too old?  It's the only one I've found for Fedora so far.

Mike W