Clamav Ping Timeout During Update

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 20:26:49 GMT 2008

Neal Morgan wrote:
>  Rick Cooper wrote:
>  >
>  > Julian Field wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Neal Morgan wrote:
>  > > > Greetings:
>  > > >
>  > > > My Mailscanner has been reporting timeouts when clamav updates
> its
>  > > > database.  I see entries like this in syslog:
>  > > >
>  > > > 2008-03-03 08:41:10.000	Server-05	MailScanner[20773]:
>  > > > Clamd::ERROR:: CLAM PING TIMED OUT! :: .
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > > > If I review the clamav log, it seems that the timeout always
> occurs
>  > > > within several seconds of the "database reloaded" entry:
>  > > >
>  > > > Mon Mar  3 08:30:21 2008 -> SelfCheck: Database
>  > > modification detected.
>  > > > Forcing reload.
>  > > > Mon Mar  3 08:30:21 2008 -> Reading databases from
> /var/lib/clamav
>  > > > Mon Mar  3 08:41:09 2008 -> Database correctly reloaded (223704
>  > > > signatures)
>  > > >
>  > > The ping timeout is set to 90 seconds. This should be way
>  > > more than is
>  > > needed for a database reload. You are welcome to try
>  > > increasing it, look
>  > > for the setting of the variable "PingTimeOut" in SweepViruses.pm.
>  > >
>  > > >
>  >
>  >I would think MailScanner wouldn't even bother to monitor the database
> files
>  >if not using ClamAVModule as clamd handles reloading upon updates and
>  >MailScanner shouldn't care because it's not going to load them anyway.
> It
>  >kind of makes me wonder if he is running both clamd and clamavmodule
>  >
>  >Rick
>  >
>  >

> Thanks Julian and Rick for your responses.  I am running clamd, and when
> I run the lint test MailScanner correctly finds it.  I am not
> referencing clamavmodule.  (Lint confirms this as well).
>
> I did have the "Monitors for ClamAV Updates" configured in
> MailScanner.conf (upgrade_MailScanner_conf complained about them on my
> last upgrade, so I updated the line to point to the proper locations).
> Rick, per your suggestion, I have taken this setting out.

That's equivalent to setting it to "/usr/local/share/clamav/*.cvd" which
may or may not be what you want. Setting a conf setting to blank is not
the same as leaving it out of the conf file altogether.

This setting should only be checked, when MailScanner runs, if you
actually mention "clamavmodule" in your "Virus Scanners =" setting. In
that case, it cannot be blank. If you want to not check anything, then
set it to point to some file whose timestamp won't change, such as your
kernel or a program such as "/bin/true" or something like that.

> I am using Unix sockets.  To be sure MailScanner isn't trying TCP/IP, I
> took the port number out leaving only the path to the socket.  One thing
> that might be of interest, my clamd does create a socket and pid file,
> but doesn't create a lock file (that I can find).  Could this have an
> impact?
>
> As far as other messages in the clamav.log file, the only other ones I
> find are 1) self check, and 2) the occasional "file not found."  Those
> seem to correspond with MailScanner reporting "not spam (too large)".
>
> Anyway, I am still left with the behavior that I get the ping timeout
> messages within 1 to 3 seconds of the time clamav.log reports "Database
> correctly reloaded".  Weird.
>
> I agree that 90 seconds is more than enough.  Changing this has no
> effect on the problem.
>
> If others running clamd aren't getting these
> 	"MailScanner[4899]: ClamD Timed Out During PING Check!"
> 	and " MailScanner[3841]: Clamd::ERROR:: CLAM PING TIMED OUT! ::
> ." messages, then it must be something I have mis-configured.  ...I just
> have no idea what that is.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Neal Morgan