MailScanner 4.67.6 Attachment Issue

Rob Kettle rob at kettle.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 20:20:52 GMT 2008

Julian Field wrote:
> Do a MailScanner --lint and a MailScanner --debug and check that they
> produce nothing untoward.
> What MTA are you using, and have you followed the appropriate
> installation instructions on www.mailscanner.info? How did you install
> it? What distribution, OS and version? What distribution of
> MailScanner did you use?
>

> Rob Kettle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just upgraded to the new release but when ever I start MailScanner I get
>> a job MailScanner: Extracting Attachments that kicks in and uses 70+%
>> CPU constantly and no mail gets processed.
>>
>> any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> thanks
>> Rob
>>

> Jules

Hi,  I was running 4.66.5 with no Issues.  Also using Mailwatch. System
is Centos 5.1. MTA is sendmail.  Sendmail runs fine on it's own without
MailScanner.

Output from --lint is :

Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.67.6) is correct.

Unrar is not installed, it should be in /usr/bin/unrar.
This is required for RAR archives to be read to check
filenames and filetypes. Virus scanning is not affected.

ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
ERROR: is not correct, it should match X-Kettle-MailScanner-From

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamd"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, clamd
Virus Scanner test reports:
Clamd said "eicar.com was infected: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND"

If any of your virus scanners (clamavmodule,clamd)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.
commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
<CLIENT> line 1.
Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
<CLIENT> line 1.

the --debug stops at subtests =
  and goes no futher

Rob