off topic - Email Statistics

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Tue Mar 4 18:01:45 GMT 2008

I just had to throw these current stats in. This is a client's system that
has been under a denial of service attack (Joe Job) for the last six months:

Statistic					mailscan2
Delivery Attempts				15,141,706
Accepted messages				119,224
% Accepted messages			0.79%
Messages rejected by BarricadeMX	15,022,482
% Messages rejected by BarricadeMX	99.21%
Connections per second			36.58
Connections per hour			131,672
Connections per day			3,160,138
Max  Simultaneous Connections		802
Load Average				less than 2.0
Process Age (seconds)			413,983
Process Age (days)			4.79

Their system is a single CPU / Dual Core Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz w/ 2
GB of memory handling 3,160,138 connection attempts a day. BarricadeMX is
running in front of our custom version of MailScanner. They don't even
notice the attack any more Please contact me off list if you ever have a
DDOS problem. We have a very quick to install solution.

Steve

Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
www.fsl.com