Mail PTR Records

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Tue Mar 4 04:52:56 GMT 2008

Peter Farrow wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>> Richard Frovarp wrote:

>>> What does "should" mean? should vs shall vs must isn't always the
>>> same thing.
>>
>> Agreed, should is not the same as must.
>>
>> There's an RFC that specifies exactly how should and must are to be
>> interpreted in RFC documents.  There is no RFC standard for "shall".
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt
>>

>> --------------
>> 3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
>>    may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
>>    particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
>>    carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
>> --------------
>>

> brilliant.  Didn't know about this RFC but I already knew what
> "should" means...
>
> For those still in any doubt you mind find this page useful,
>
> http://www.englishpage.com/modals/should.html
>
> If you're still having trouble, this may be more appropriate
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/metoo/colour/
>
> ;-)

 From your site is should: a recommendation, advice, obligation, or
expectation? Does shall represent: a suggestion, promise,
predestination, or inevitability? I could interpret should as something
I must do (obligation) and shall as something I could do (suggestion).
This would most likely be opposite of expectations and most US legal
documents, but correct according to the usage of the words. Legal
documents and specifications must explicitly spell out the exact
meanings of such words for these reasons. Which is why we have an RFC
spelling out the meanings of such words.