Mail PTR Records

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Mar 3 19:54:37 GMT 2008

Nathan Olson wrote:
> It's not RFC-compliant.

Please point out the RFC and section it violates.

AFAIK, there's no section that prohibits refusing mail due to lack of PTR
records for the IP address.

I've been proved wrong before, but I'm extraordinarily skeptical that there's
any such restrictions in the RFCs.. I can find no mention of such a restriction
in RFC 821, 2821 or 1123.

On the contrary, RFC 1912 section 2.1 directly tells you that that not having a
PTR record could lead to services refusing to talk to your hosts.

Also, RFC 1912 states that all IP address should have have a PTR record
associated with them in the in-addr.arpa space.

So, the documentation I can find in the RFCs suggests that blocking connections
from hosts which lack PTR records is legal and should be expected.