Mail PTR Records

Phil Udel Phil.Udel at SalemCorp.com
Mon Mar 3 15:26:19 GMT 2008

I have been thinking that I might try to reject mail that does not have a
Ptr.

Example:

"Non-existent CNAMEReports CNAME of 178.128/25.240.39.12.in-addr.arpa.
12.39.240.178 has no reverse DNS entry; some mail servers may not accept
your mail"

If I stop it at the sendmail.mc with a FEATURE(`require_rdns')dnl  then I
will not have any way to track what I might need to allow.

If I use the SA RDNS_NONE and RDNS_DYNAMIC then I waste CPU but get nice
reporting.

What would you guys suggest,  any other pitfalls?