Centos 4.6 post Yum update / perl-IO - Watch it!!!!

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Mon Jun 30 08:56:54 IST 2008

On 6/30/2008 9:35 AM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Alex Broens wrote:
> | On a running MailScanner 4.69.8 / Centos 4.6 box, after "latest yum
> | upgrade" MailScanner refused to start due to
> |
> | **** ERROR: You must upgrade your perl IO module to at least
> | **** ERROR: version 1.2301 or MailScanner will not work!
> |
> | a "cpan upgrade IO" fixed it BUT as others have stated, if we start
> | seeing frequent module version issues, Julian's "easy & safe" package
> | becomes questionable.
>
> The issue has been the topic of multiple threads. But Julian provides a
> more up-to-date perl-IO package. It just needs a bit of work to resolve
> conflicts with perl itself.

Yep - was following that Centos 5.2 thread, but hadn't read it also
affected Centos 4.x.

Its the "more up-to-date" thing that is scary.

IMO,  if its a crrticial requirement, it should be installed in/under
MS' own path and code should point "require" to that path. Other
software apps do that and it works well.
If not a version critical requirement, why replace it in the first place?

Alex