problems installing on fedora core 9

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Fri Jun 27 09:54:02 IST 2008

> Fedora is a very fast moving target.

Good point. Don't use Fedora if you don't want to upgrade your OS every 18
months or so, and if you have no need for up-to-date versions of common
software packages.

(Some people think that something that has new releases on such a frequent
basis cannot be stable enough for production use. I, however, have been
using RedHat Linux, and then Fedora, in production environments for many
years, without any problems with the software.)

> But so much changes in MailScanner every few months that it is
> usually worth it for either features or fixes. Julian can really churn
> out the code.

Another good point. Try to keep fully up-to-date with MailScanner,
preferably updating it at least every other month. This way you'll always
have the best version of the code, with the most recent stable releases of
ClamAV, spamassassin, etc.

(Some people think that something that has new releases on such a frequent
basis cannot be stable enough for production use. I, however, have been
using MailScanner in a production environment for many years, with only a
few very minor problems with the software.)

YMMV, however, so feel free to use whichever version of MailScanner (or OS
distro) that happens to suit your requirements. ;)

Cheers!

Anthony
--
www.fonant.com - Quality web sites