Can't install CentOS 5.2 update?

Dave Jones davejones70 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 14:43:02 IST 2008

>> A more simple method that I use is:
>>
>> # yum -y update (this will fail with the conflicts but download the
>> packages into the yum cache for the rpm --force command below)
>> # yum -y update --exclude=perl*
>> # cd /var/cache/yum/rpmforge/packages
>> # rpm -Uhv --force perl*
>This could downgrade a perl module that is needed by mailscanner. You could
>have no problems, and you could have many.

It will not downgrade with the "-U" option.  The rpm command should only
upgrade existing modules using the latest version in that directory if you
have
multiple versions of the same rpm package.  The yum output proves this by
skipping older versions.  This is validated by running another "yum update"
and it shows everything is up to date.

If you think this "perl*" is not safe, then you could manually run the rpm
--force
on the latest version of the perl module that is conflicting.  I used to do
this but
found that rpm was smart enough, so I took the easy "perl* way.  All of this
would still be much faster, easier, and less risky than reinstalling
MailScanner
every few months.

I will try to figure out how to post this to the wiki if others think this
procedure
is useful (and safe).  I have been following this procedure for over a year
on
about a dozen MailScanner instances with no problems.

>The SAFER method is the first method;
>rpm -e perl-IO perl-File-Temp perl-Math-BigInt perl-Math-BigRat perl-bignum
>
>yum update perl
>
>re-install the current (or your preferred) mailscanner version to get the
perl
>modules re-installed.
>> # reboot  (if needed to get on a new kernel -- or just restart
MailScanner)

--
Dave Jones