argv[0] prompt extension patches?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 01:35:19 IST 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I note that MailScanner (at least as of the 4.54 I have installed),
> modifies the argv[0] displayed by 'ps axf' so you can get a bit of an idea
> what's going on.
>
> But only a bit: no msgid, no addressee.

That would only be useful if MailScanner went through each message
individually, scanning them one by one. But that's not how MailScanner
works. For efficiency, it works on batches of messages. So the virus
scanner, for example, is called once for the entire batch of messages,
not once for each message. All the messages in a batch are processed
together at each stage of the process. It scans them all for RBL hits,
then all of them with SpamAssassin, then all of them for viruses, then
all of them for HTML nasties, and so on. So it wouldn't actually give
you any useful information whatsoever.

Which is why I haven't already done it myself.

> Julian, would you entertain for the mainline some patches that expand
> those messages a bit, within the bounds of good argv[0] hygiene, or did
> you leave it vague for a reason?
>
> Clearly, if I do submit such, I'll do it against at least current stable.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Jules

--