batch processing tmes

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Tue Jun 24 00:29:58 IST 2008

On 24/06/2008, at 6:34 AM, Dave Filchak wrote:
> We are only using zen.spamhaus.org. Should I be using something else?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I've seen times when the MailScanner child is old and hasn't been
killed off and restarted.  Then a new batch arrives, and the
MailScanner parent kills the child, starts a new one, then commences
processing the batch.  However the child rebirth is included in the
processing time.  Julian might be able to shed more light on the
automagic MS child restart logic, but this seems to explain the
fluctuating times.

Additionally, any time a message by-passes spamassassin (or hits the
SA cache in MailScanner), my batch processing times are very short.
I've tweaked the heck out of SpamAssassin, but at the end of the day,
there's only so much you can expect from a 3GHz P4 :P

HTH,

James