Problem while updating perl

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Wed Jun 18 13:54:36 IST 2008

Dave Jones a écrit :

> all the

> is and

> >/var/cache/yum/rhel-i386-server-5/packages/perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3.i386.rpm
> >>   >1:perl                   ###########################################

> >> Sounds like you might have SELinux active.  Run "getenforce" and if it
> >> is "Enforcing" then run "setenforce 0" to make it "Permissive".  Then
> >> run your command again.
> >>
> >> If permissive mode allows the package install command to work with
> >> --force, then disable SELinux or try your hand at updating the SELinux
> >> policy that is preventing it from installing.  RHEL 5 is supposed to
> >> be much easier to customize SELinux policies but I haven't played with
> >> it yet.  I still just disable it during the install and go...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dave Jones
> >
> >Dave,
> >
> >It is disabled on all my servers (I just checked and getenforce returns
> >Disabled)...  I see the "selinux" messages all the time whenever I
> >install or upgrade an RPM... to the point where I don't even pay any
> >attention to them...  could have been the reason I had problem, though!
> >
> >Denis
> Now that I see your repo is "rhel-i386-server-5" then there could be a few
> other things it could be.  What repos do you have installed and
> active?  If
> you have RPMforge installed (which every CentOS box should have), it may
> overlap some packages with with the RHEL repo.  We install RPMforge on our
> RHEL boxes but keep it disabled (/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo).  Then we
> only enable it for specific packages from the command line with the
> "--enable-repo=rpmforge" option.
>
> On a RHEL server like yours, the perl packages should come from the RHEL
> repo to keep everything clean.  Is it possible that perl was updated or
> installed from another source?  You might try removing and
> reinstalling perl
> after making sure that the only active repo is "rhel-i386-server-5."
> --
> Dave Jones

Dave,

The only repo I used until 1 week ago was RedHat's.  I added rpmforge
since but didn't upgrade anything from them (just used it to install
clamd).  So this behaviour is really RedHat's own.

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste