Disabling sare updates via sa-update

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 17:44:23 IST 2008

ram wrote:
> The http://www.rulesemporium.com/ site recommends disabling auto updates
> of SARE rules
>
> In MailScanner I dont see any way How this can be done.
>
> Can I turn off auto sa-update in in MailScanner , Or should I just
> remove sare rules  from sa-update

The call to sa-update is done by the update_spamassassin cron job in
/etc/cron.daily/update_spamassassin.

To disable it, just run this command:
chmod a-x /etc/cron.daily/update_spamassassin

If you later want to re-enable it, change "a-x" to "a+x".

To just disable particular sets of rules from your auto-update, you need
to look in /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner and find the value of SAUPDATEARGS.
That list of options should point to a channel-list file. Edit that file
and remove the rules you don't want to auto-update.

Hopefully that is enough to get you started.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM